Want to use your Nugget with a baby? Here are my favorite build and configurations ideas!
Nuggets are a super popular climbing toy for preschoolers, toddlers, and kids.
But what about babies?
I will firmly say don’t buy a Nugget for a baby (unless you are just obsessed haha) but if you have a Nugget and then have a baby – they can definitely use it.
We bought our first Nugget for my oldest son’s first birthday. We then had a second baby that year. Baby #2 (Rory the girl) has really taught me so many cool things that a baby can do with a Nugget!
In general, the Nugget is great as a crash pad for learning mobility. It is a safe place to play and a confidence booster for kids!
Plus, if you have multiple ages of kids, it’s a great way to let them play side by side while still having their own things to do!
So, without further ado, here are my favorite nugget builds and activities for babies!
Baby Nugget build ideas
An easy way to use a Nugget with little babies is for tummy time. It’s a soft, safe place to let them lay and practice pushing up or rolling.
Laying across a triangle
Similarly, we liked to lean Rory against a triangle. It’s a great way to prop them up and give a little elevated tummy time!
I love setting up our nugget pieces at various levels and letting her crawl across it. It’s kind of an extremely low key baby level obstacle course!
Pull to stand
Once babies are ready to pull to stand, a nugget (or a thick piece folded in half) is the perfect height to pull up on!
Hold on, pick up a toy
Once they are standing holding onto the Nugget, they can practice squatting down (while holding on), grabbing a toy, and bringing it up to the Nugget top!
Climb the steps
We love our stair build, and it’s a great, safe way for babies to learn how to climb steps!
Crawl up a ramp
Set up a ramp and let new crawlers practice crawling up!
Roll down a ramp
Ramps can also be used for rolling. You can gently log roll them, or do a forward roll! I’ve had my kids in little gym gymnastics since they were 10 months old, so we are comfortable safely doing baby forward rolls.
Once they are ready, they can hold onto a nugget and walk themselves around it!
Peek a boo
Babies of all ages love playing peek a boo! I will duck behind a nugget or triangle and pop out. I just eat up the baby giggles.
Drop balls down the ramp
My older son LOVE putting balls down the ramp. You can use a tunnel or just a Nugget. We often put stuffed animals at the bottom to bowl over, but it’s also fun to have baby sister sit there and catch them! Lightweight balls only, obviously, no bowling for baby!
More Nugget-y content:
- The Ultimate Nugget review
- Nugget Comfort Alternatives
- Do Nuggets go on sale?
- Is the Nugget toxic?
- Must Have Nugget Accessories
- Nugget Stain Remover Cheat Sheet
- Nugget double vs single brushed suede
- Pikler Triangle Benefits
- Nugget cleaning cheat sheet
- Best climbing toys for toddlers
- Nugget Obstacle Course ideas
- Nugget fort building ideas
- Nugget configuration ideas
- Nugget slide ideas
- Can you use a Nugget as a bed?
- Nugget build configuration ideas
- Two Nugget build configuration ideas
- Three Nugget build configuration ideas
- Four Nugget build ideas
- Can you use a Nugget as a couch?
- How to stick felt to a Nugget kids couch
- How to store a Nugget when not in use
- How to move a Nugget
- Is a Nugget Montessori?
- A favorite build: steps + slide combo
- How long does it take a new Nugget to fluff up?
- Nugget alternatives in Canada
- Nugget alternatives in Australia
Thanks for reading!