Wondering how long it will take your new Nugget couch to expand? Here’s my experience with 4 Nuggets!
So you got a Nugget couch. Hooray!
You snap a selfie with the box, open it, and carefully peel the plastic off the cushions (no scissors!)
But – you’re disappointed.
The Nugget is not what you expected. It’s a sad, floppy, firm, wrinkled mess.
How long does it take nugget couch to expand?! Is your Nugget…. defective?!
How long does it take a Nugget couch to fluff up?
According to the Nugget website, it takes 1 to 2 weeks for the Nugget to fully fluff up.
Nuggets are made of foam. That foam is then placed in plastic and all of the air is sucked out so it can roll up and fit in a box. It can take a while for the foam to fully expand.
In my opinion, it should be pretty close to fully expanded in 24 hours.
But, there are some ways that you can encourage them to fluff up faster!
How long can I leave my Nugget in the box?
In general, you want to get it out of the box as soon as possible. The warranty is void if you do not pull the couch out after 15 days from receipt.
Best practice is to open and inspect your Nugget in case of any defects right away. Here’s some tips for storing Nuggets if it’s a gift you want to hide.
I’ve never had a defect on any of my Nuggets, but some people have.
If you plan to gift your Nugget – do NOT wait until that day to open it up! Give it at least 3 days to get looking good BEFORE gifting it!
How long does it take the wrinkles to flatten out of the fabric?
It takes a bit longer for the wrinkles to come out of the fabric. I have found that the piece that was on the inside of the roll is especially wrinkled.
The wrinkles will fade over time, but if it bothers you, you can wash the cover. Here is a step by step guide to washing Nugget covers.
You can also use your hands to smooth out the wrinkles.
Some people swear by using a hair dryer to heat their nuggets and get them to expand and lose the wrinkles. I do NOT recommend this as heat can mess up the lining of the cover and make it get all bubbly and bumpy. Not good!
Does the Nugget foam get firmer/softer over time?
When you first open the Nugget, the thick pieces are really compressed and feel very firm.
The thin pieces can feel very floppy and not sturdy for builds.
It takes about 48 hours for the foam to get softer, firmer, and fully un-squished.
After this point, the firmness or softness of your foam should not change.
Why is my Nugget Couch not expanding?
If your Nugget couch is looking flat and wrinkly, the thing that it needs most is time.
Some people say they use a hair dryer or heat gun to speed up expansion – I would NOT do this. The fabric is lined with a plasticy material and it has been proven that this WILL melt, separate, and ruin the cover.
If you want to speed up the expansion process, roll the nugget out flat and walk/stomp all over it. Then, flip it over and do the same on the other side. Let it sit for 30 minutes then repeat if necessary.
You can also lift it up and smack it against the ground – not too hard! – to help sort of beat it into fluffiness.
The longer that your Nugget was in the box, the longer that it will take to expand completely.
What do I do if my Nugget couch was left in the box?
There are a few reasons that your Nugget got left in the box too long – you were saving it for Christmas, or for after a move, or you bought it from someone new in box (for who knows how long!)
It’s not ideal, but here’s what you need to know.
- Nuggets left in the box longer than 15 days from delivery are not covered by the warranty – this just means that if you open it up after this and find a defect like a tear or hole (very, very, rare) they will not believe you that it came that way and will not replace the cover.
- The longer a Nugget is left in the box, the longer it will take to fluff up.
- It will fluff up eventually. I’ve never seen anyone say their Nugget NEVER fluffed up to normal size. Just like anything else, it takes time.
Any more questions I can help answer?!
Want more Nugget-y content?
- The Ultimate Nugget review
- Nugget Comfort Alternatives
- Do Nuggets go on sale?
- Is the Nugget toxic?
- Must Have Nugget Accessories
- FREE Nugget Stain Remover Cheat Sheet
- Nugget double vs single brushed suede
- Outdoor covers for Nuggets
- Pikler Triangle Benefits
- Nugget cleaning cheat sheet
- Nugget build configuration ideas
- Two Nugget build configuration ideas
- Three Nugget build configuration ideas
- Four Nugget build ideas
- Can you use a Nugget as a couch?
- How to stick felt to a Nugget kids couch
- How to store a Nugget when not in use
- How to move a Nugget
- Best climbing toys for toddlers
- How to get the covers back on a Nugget
- Nugget Obstacle Course ideas
- Nugget fort building ideas
- Nugget tunnel build ideas
- Nugget configuration ideas
- Nugget slide ideas
- Can you use a Nugget as a bed?
- How to make Nugget builds sturdier
- The best Nugget ottoman covers
- Is a Nugget Montessori?
- A favorite build: steps + slide combo
- How long does it take a new Nugget to fluff up?
- Is there a Costco Nugget alternative?
- Nugget alternatives in Canada
- Nugget alternatives in Australia
Thanks for reading!
Hey there, I’m Morgan, the creative mind behind CelebratingWithKids.com! As a parent of two lively little ones, I’ve made it my mission to turn ordinary days into extraordinary adventures, sharing playful activities, thoughtful toy reviews, and delightful printables to help families celebrate every moment together. 🎉👨👩👧👦🎈