Trying to decide between the Nugget double brushed suede vs microsuede? Let’s break down the differences so you can make the right decision for your family!
The Nugget is a popular kid’s play couch – read our full Nugget review here!
The Nugget comes in 2 fabric cover choices: microsuede and double brushed suede. Let’s talk about the differences!
What are the difference between the Nugget double brushed suede vs microsuede?
Some people get one of each Nugget and, while they see the differences in the materials, they don’t have a strong preference either way or think that the double brushed is better. You can read a discussion about that here.
However, Nugget obviously thinks that the double brushed suede is better because they offer it as a premium upgraded product.
The double brushed suede is thicker and softer than the traditional microsuede. It has more of a “couch” feel to it and most people agree that it feels more expensive and luxe.
When comparing the feel of the two fabrics, some people say the microsuede feels “crinkly” when compared to the softer double brushed. However, some other people say that the double brushed is too slick for good fort building!
Both Nugget covers are machine washable – check out my guide to cleaning the Nugget!
What are the pros of the double brushed suede?
Many people say that the double brushed fabric is softer, feels more luxe and expensive, and is easier to clean. It seems to be especially better at keeping clean of pet hair. People say that pet hair brushes right off with your hand, no lint roller required.
So, if you have a lot of shedding pets that will spend time on your Nuggets, it might be worth it to you to get the double brushed suede!
I have also heard that the double brushed doesn’t create static like the traditional microsuede does.
Finally, it’s worth noting that felt DOES stick to the double brushed suede, just like the traditional microsuede material, so it can be used the same way as a felt board!
What are the cons of the double brushed suede?
There are a few cons to the double brushed suede, though most of them are more practical and not really about the fabric.
First of all, there is an up-charge for this deluxe fabric. It’s an extra $30 no matter what you buy.
|Microsuede||Double Brushed Suede|
|Nugget cover cost||$99||$129|
|Nugget pillow pack cost||$99||$129|
Secondly, and most importantly to me, there are extremely limited colors in the double brushed suede. Currently it is just Harbor, Atlantic, and Redwood. So, if you don’t like those colors, it’s not a good fit.
Finally, some people on Facebook have complained about the double brushed suede snagging. However, remember that covers are under warranty from manufacturing defects and Nugget seems to be great about replacing them.
Is the double brushed suede worth it?
For me, this is an easy no. I don’t love the colors available so it’s not worth it to settle for a color I don’t like. However, some people swear by the double brushed and for them, it clearly is worth it!
Want more Nugget-y content?
- The Ultimate Nugget review
- Nugget Comfort Alternatives
- Do Nuggets go on sale?
- Is the Nugget toxic?
- Must Have Nugget Accessories
- FREE Nugget Stain Remover Cheat Sheet
- Nugget double vs single brushed suede
- Outdoor covers for Nuggets
- Pikler Triangle Benefits
- Nugget cleaning cheat sheet
- Nugget build configuration ideas
- Two Nugget build configuration ideas
- Three Nugget build configuration ideas
- Four Nugget build ideas
- Can you use a Nugget as a couch?
- How to stick felt to a Nugget kids couch
- How to store a Nugget when not in use
- How to move a Nugget
- Best climbing toys for toddlers
- How to get the covers back on a Nugget
- Nugget Obstacle Course ideas
- Nugget fort building ideas
- Nugget tunnel build ideas
- Nugget configuration ideas
- Nugget slide ideas
- Can you use a Nugget as a bed?
- How to make Nugget builds sturdier
- The best Nugget ottoman covers
- Is a Nugget Montessori?
- A favorite build: steps + slide combo
- How long does it take a new Nugget to fluff up?
- Is there a Costco Nugget alternative?
- Nugget alternatives in Canada
- Nugget alternatives in Australia
Thanks for reading!
Hey there, I’m Morgan, the creative mind behind CelebratingWithKids.com! As a parent of two lively little ones, I’ve made it my mission to turn ordinary days into extraordinary adventures, sharing playful activities, thoughtful toy reviews, and delightful printables to help families celebrate every moment together. 🎉👨👩👧👦🎈