Wondering if a Nugget kids couch is safe? Let’s talk about the toxicity of the materials used to make a Nugget!
We love our Nugget kids couch, but if you are considering purchasing one, you may have questions about the safety or toxicity of the materials used to make them.
Let’s talk about what is used to make a Nugget!
Is the Nugget toxic?
Nugget foam is open-cell polyurethane foam. Polyurethane foam off-gasses, or releases little particles into the air that you will then breathe in.
However, that off-gassing is said to be extremely minimal and not dangerous. This is the same foam used for many pillows and mattresses, laid right next to your face for 1/3 of your life!
The foam is CertiPUR-US certified to exceed safety standards. It is mercury, lead, and formaldehyde free and made with minimal VOCs.
Nugget covers are microsuede. Compare the brushed vs double brushed microsuede covers here!
Nugget chooses not to waterproof their cushion covers, which reduces on chemicals sprayed on the fabric. Nuggets pass California’s TB-117 fire safety regulation.
Yes, the Nugget is Greenguard Gold Certified, meaning it meets or exceeds their standards for chemical emissions.
Where is the Nugget factory?
Nuggets are made in the USA! All Nuggets are made in Butner, North Carolina. They were founded by UNC Chapel Hill students and have stayed close to home!
The fabric is from Vietnam, China and El Salvador. The foam is produced in Mt. Airy, North Carolina!
Is the Nugget couch safe?
Any more questions about the toxicity of a Nugget couch?!
More Nugget-y content:
- The Ultimate Nugget review
- Nugget Comfort Alternatives
- Do Nuggets go on sale?
- Is the Nugget toxic?
- Must Have Nugget Accessories
- Nugget Stain Remover Cheat Sheet
- Nugget double vs single brushed suede
- Outdoor covers for Nuggets
- Pikler Triangle Benefits
- Nugget cleaning cheat sheet
- Best climbing toys for toddlers
- How to get the covers back on a Nugget
- Nugget Obstacle Course ideas
- Nugget fort building ideas
- Nugget configuration ideas
- Nugget slide ideas
- Can you use a Nugget as a bed?
- How to make Nugget builds sturdier
- Nugget build configuration ideas
- Two Nugget build configuration ideas
- Three Nugget build configuration ideas
- Four Nugget build ideas
- Can you use a Nugget as a couch?
- How to stick felt to a Nugget kids couch
- How to store a Nugget when not in use
- How to move a Nugget
- Is a Nugget Montessori?
- A favorite build: steps + slide combo
- How long does it take a new Nugget to fluff up?
- Nugget alternatives in Canada
- Nugget alternatives in Australia
Thanks for reading!