Wondering how to make a leprechaun trap? Here is how to make a simple and fun leprechaun trap from an oatmeal canister!
St Patrick’s Day can be a super fun holiday for kids – just make it about being silly, wearing green, and catching leprechauns!
My 3 year old got so excited this year to catch a leprechaun with his very first leprechaun trap.
We built this leprechaun trap out of an oatmeal container. Some people use shoe boxes or cereal boxes, too.
DIY leprechaun traps are a fun and easy craft for kids to make to get excited about St Patrick’s Day!
Be sure to check out our St Patrick’s Day ideas!
- Printable Leprechaun letter
- How to make Leprechaun footprints
- St Patrick’s Day breakfast ideas
- St Patrick’s Day treat recipes for kids
- Free Printable St Patrick’s Day Scavenger Hunt
- The best St Patricks Day books for Preschoolers
- St Patricks Day crafts for toddlers + preschoolers
- Free St Patrick’s Day Printables for Preschoolers
- How to make an oatmeal canister top hat leprechaun trap
- Easy Leprechaun trap ideas
- What does a leprechaun leave in a trap?
How to build a leprechaun trap
The exact steps I used are in the how to card below. This is a guide to work with any type container.
Start with your box or canister. I chose an oatmeal container to create a top hat.
Wrap in craft paper. Add any construction paper decor, like the belt on the hat.
I used double sided tape to attach paper to the container.
Add a lid. Be sure to cut a flap in your lid for the leprechaun to crawl into.
Make a ladder! Use hot glue and popsicle sticks, pipe cleaners, or paper straws.
Decorated with gold coins, shamrocks, glitter, or lucky charms cereal.
I let my 3 year old punch out circles from gold paper. We used that to make a trail from the door to the trap to entice the leprechaun!
We added a trail of the paper gold coins from the trap to the front door for the leprechaun to follow to the trap. This was actually my 3 year olds idea and I LOVE IT!
He also wanted to set out his rainbow stacking toy… because leprechauns love rainbows. Gotta love that sweet boy!
Pair your leprechaun trap with a printable leprechaun letter and these pot of gold treat ideas for a fun St Patrick’s Day morning!
How to build a leprechaun trap
Here's a super easy way to make a leprechaun trap!
- Oatmeal canister
- Craft paper
- Paper straws
- Double sided tape (or glue)
- Hole punch
- Hot glue gun
- Wrap your canister in green paper. Cut to size and stick on with double sided tape
- Cut a strip of black paper and a square of yellow or gold paper. Cut 2 slits in the yellow paper, string the black through, and tape the belt onto the hat
- Cut a green circle from paper and use that as the base of the hat (I did NOT glue this on but you can)
- Trace the lid of the oatmeal container onto green paper. Cut out, then cut a flap. Use hot glue to glue to top of container - WITHOUT the lid on
- Now, make a ladder. Use 2 full paper straws and cut 2 others into thirds. Hot glue together to make a ladder
- Make gold coins. Hole punch gold paper (I used 1.5" hole punch)
- Decorate with rainbows, glitter, shamrocks, or stickers!
Thanks for reading!