Wondering how to make a leprechaun trap? Here is how to make a simple and fun leprechaun trap from an oatmeal canister, a great St Patricks Day kids idea!
St Patrick’s Day can be a super fun holiday for kids – just make it about being silly, wearing green, and catching leprechauns!
My 3 year old got so excited this year to catch a leprechaun with his very first leprechaun trap.
We built this leprechaun trap out of an oatmeal container. Some people use shoe boxes or cereal boxes, too.
DIY leprechaun traps are a fun and easy craft for kids to make to get excited about St Patrick’s Day!
Be sure to check out our St Patrick’s Day ideas!
- Printable Leprechaun letter
- How to make Leprechaun footprints
- St Patrick’s Day breakfast ideas
- St Patrick’s Day treat recipes for kids
- Free Printable St Patrick’s Day Scavenger Hunt
- The best St Patricks Day books for Preschoolers
- St Patricks Day crafts for toddlers + preschoolers
- Free St Patrick’s Day Printables for Preschoolers
- How to make an oatmeal canister top hat leprechaun trap
- Easy Leprechaun trap ideas
- What does a leprechaun leave in a trap?
How to build a leprechaun trap
The exact steps I used are in the how to card below. This is a guide to work with any type container.
Start with your box or canister. I chose an oatmeal container to create a top hat.
Wrap in craft paper. Add any construction paper decor, like the belt on the hat.
I used double sided tape to attach paper to the container.
Add a lid. Be sure to cut a flap in your lid for the leprechaun to crawl into.
Make a ladder! Use hot glue and popsicle sticks, pipe cleaners, or paper straws.
Decorated with gold coins, shamrocks, glitter, or lucky charms cereal.
I let my 3 year old punch out circles from gold paper. We used that to make a trail from the door to the trap to entice the leprechaun!
We added a trail of the paper gold coins from the trap to the front door for the leprechaun to follow to the trap. This was actually my 3 year olds idea and I LOVE IT!
He also wanted to set out his rainbow stacking toy… because leprechauns love rainbows. Gotta love that sweet boy!
- Oatmeal canister
- Craft paper
- Paper straws
- Double sided tape (or glue)
- Hole punch
- Hot glue gun
- Wrap your canister in green paper. Cut to size and stick on with double sided tape
- Cut a strip of black paper and a square of yellow or gold paper. Cut 2 slits in the yellow paper, string the black through, and tape the belt onto the hat
- Cut a green circle from paper and use that as the base of the hat (I did NOT glue this on but you can)
- Trace the lid of the oatmeal container onto green paper. Cut out, then cut a flap. Use hot glue to glue to top of container - WITHOUT the lid on
- Now, make a ladder. Use 2 full paper straws and cut 2 others into thirds. Hot glue together to make a ladder
- Make gold coins. Hole punch gold paper (I used 1.5" hole punch)
- Decorate with rainbows, glitter, shamrocks, or stickers!
Hey there, I’m Morgan, the creative mind behind CelebratingWithKids.com! As a parent of two lively little ones, I’ve made it my mission to turn ordinary days into extraordinary adventures, sharing playful activities, thoughtful toy reviews, and delightful printables to help families celebrate every moment together. 🎉👨👩👧👦🎈