Does a kid in your life have plenty of toys? Give them the gift of an experience! Here are a TON of ideas for experience gifts for kids.
I don’t know about your kids, but mine have a TON of toys.
And, not to sound ungrateful in the least, but sometimes I groan when holidays come up and I know that gifts will be involved.
The last thing that we need is an influx of small plastic toys.
The thing about new toys is that they are fun for a minute and then they get abandoned and become a burden – we have to store them and I feel guilty donating or trashing them if a relative spent their money on it.
I understand that people get joy from watching kids unwrap toys, but experiences are so much better.
Experiences for kids allow you to make memories that you will keep way longer than a plastic toy!
The best kid experience gifts are in line with their interests. So, if they are passionate about animals, make it an animal experience! If they love outer space, plan a space-themed day!
How to gift an experience to kids
Kids want to unwrap something on Christmas or their birthday! If you are giving an experience gift for toddlers, you still want to wrap something up.
The easiest way to do this is to come up with something related and wrap that. Something that could be a “clue” for older kids!
Christmas experience gift ideas for toddlers + preschoolers
Here are my favorite experience gifts to give kids!
- Magazine subscription (Highlights magazine is our fave!)
- Kid’s activity subscription box (such at Koala Crate)
- Hair bow subscription (we use Little Poppy Co!)
- Video subscription such as Disney Plus
- Baking supplies – and then you bake together!
- Instrument lessons – simple things like Kindermusik for younger kids
- Membership to a zoo, aquarium, children’s museum, waterpark
- Tickets to a concert or show
- Extra classes like ballet or karate
- A family vacation (who wouldn’t like a vacation as a Christmas gift!)
- An adventure like rock climbing wall
- Tickets to a skating rink
- Gift card to a favorite restaurant – a one-on-one “date night” with a parent or grandparent is great if there are a lot of siblings!
- Tickets to a sporting event
- Trampoline play space passes
- Treasure hunt
- Great Wolf Lodge visit
- Gardening supplies + do a garden together!
- Camping supplies + go camping together
- “gift certificate” to build a giant fort in your living room and have a camp out
- Bowling passes
- Petting zoo or farm visit
- Game night or sleepover with grandparent/aunt/cousin/someone special to spend time with
What are some of the other best experience gifts for kids?!
Thanks for reading!