Looking for an easy playdough recipe? Here’s how to make 2 ingredient cloud play dough using conditioner and cornstarch.
We have really been enjoying making a lot of different play dough recipes around here, and I am excited to share some of our favorites with y’all.
Today we are talking about a super simple play dough recipe made using cornstarch and conditioner.
My son Luke and I have actually tried 3 different recipes using cornstarch and lotion or cornstarch and conditioner until we got the perfect combination.
This recipe makes super soft playdough, it is so fluffy it is often called cloud dough!
2 ingredient playdough
There are some pros and cons to conditioner playdough. In my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons. This is a super easy recipe with ingredients you probably have on hand and fun to play with!
Pros of lotion cloud dough:
- Easy and cheap to make
- Simple ingredients you probably have on hand
- No cook (great for small kids)
- Fluffy, satisfying texture
- Smells good – like lotion haha
- Hypoallergenic and paraben-free (assuming your lotion is)
Cons of cornstarch and shampoo cloud dough:
- Crumbly and messy in the kneading step – not messy once mixed
- Sticks to your hands when mixing – not once fully mixed though
- Slightly powdery feeling on your hands when playing with it, which I find happens with all playdough with cornstarch
- If you mess up the ratio of wet to cornstarch, it gets crumbly and messy really fast
- Not food safe (important for my 1 year old)
How to make cloud dough without conditioner
Don’t have conditioner? You can use lotion instead! Pick something with a nice light scent and it will work just like conditioner. The important thing is that 2:1 ratio!
How to make cloud dough without cornstarch
Don’t have cornstarch? You can use flour, it just won’t be as light and fluffy!
What conditioner should I use?
Go for a cheap conditioner! Cheaper brands are more watery, which is what absorbs the cornstarch. Go with V05, suave, or anything super on sale!
Cloud dough recipe
Ingredients needed to make play dough:
- 1/2 cup lotion OR hair conditioner (or, 1 part if you are scaling)
- 1 cup cornstarch/cornflour (or, 2 parts if you are scaling)
- food coloring if wanted, as needed to achieve desired color
- essential oil if wanted, I just used scented lotion
Steps to make fluffy playdough
STEP 1: Mix lotion with dye
This is important and I learned it from trial and error – use a spoon to stir your food coloring into the lotion. This makes it mix MUCH BETTER later on. Stir until fully mixed.
STEP 2: Add cornstarch
Add your cornstarch and stir to combine. Add in a few batches to keep it from being too messy.
STEP 3: Stir well
Stir to combine completely. It will look pebbly.
STEP 4: Knead
Pour onto a silicone mat or any clean surface and use your hands to knead the dough and mix it until it’s completely mixed.
STEP 5: Play!
Play with the cloud dough and have fun! This dough holds it’s shape and can be molded and cut with play dough tools.
Store in a ziplock bag or airtight tupperware when not in use!
- 1/2 cup conditioner or lotion
- 1 cup cornstarch
- food color if wanted
- essential oils if wanted
- Mix the lotion with food coloring in a bowl until completely mixed.
- Add the corn starch in batches.
- Stir to combine.
- Pour onto a silicone mat or any clean surface.
- Knead and mix by hand.
- Play and enjoy!
Thanks for reading!